March 3, 2009

top 36: round three

It's round three of the top 36 - the last round. At this point, I hardly remember Hollywood week, so tonight should be full of surprises.

So far, we have 2 girls and 4 boys going on to the top 12. Let's hope for some standout girls tonight to even that out. (Note: the final 3 for the top 12 are "wild card spots" chosen by the judges)

Von: 22 from Missouri. Singing "You're All I Need to Get By" by Marvin Gaye. I always worry when they go with a classic. Ugh. He sounds like he's doing a George Michael impression - actually looks a little like it too. I stand corrected - the judges like him. Just too cheesey for me I guess. Haha... Simon said he reminds him of Clay Aiken, but he looks appalling.

Taylor: 17 from Utah. I remember her from auditions - she's cute and very tall - reminds me a little of Jordan Sparks. Singing "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys. Good stage presence and soulful voice. She has super shiny tights on. They look like pleather. I want those tights. Judges didn't love it.

Alex: 19 from California. I remember rooting for this guy during auditions because he's so awkward, making his the voice that comes out of him surprising. Singing "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" by Elton John. I love this song. He has a nice voice, and he's trying to put some rock and roll into it - coming out a bit awkwardly. Simon skewered him - it was like a bully picking on a nerd. Meany, stop it Simon. I kind of love this kid.

Arianna: 17 from California. Don't remember this girl at all. Singing "The Winner Takes It All" - first live Abba song on Idol ever! I love it! I'm guessing this is because of the Mamma Mia movie. She's changing the melody a lot - making it more theatrical and going after some huge notes at the end, but not going so well. Simon called it absolutely terrible, other judges pretty much agreed.

Ju'Not: 26 from New York. I like this guy - another one who's different from the norm. Singing "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White Tees. I embarrassingly join every other female under the age of 30 who loves this song. He's singing it like a slow soul ballad - totally changing the melody. It worked for me, and the judges liked it too.

Kristen: 22 from California. Singing "Give Me One Reason" by Tracey Chapman. Good choice for her voice - also putting soul into it, this seems to be a trend tonight. A little bored. Judges were a mixed bag - seem to like her voice and range, but not her style.

Nathaniel: 18 from New York. This guy bothered me during Hollywood week. I'm all about theatrics, but he struck me as unnecessarily over-the-top. I can't handle the crying and drama. And the headbands are not good. Singing "I Would Do Anything for Love" by Meatloaf. My mom did not like me listening to this song when I was little because he says "screwing around." Ok, I'm actually having fun listening to this guy. He's having a good time. Get rid of the drama, and we can be friends Nathaniel. Simon said it was excruciating. Randy can't see what kind of artist he would be.

Felicia: 23 from Virginia. She's the one who replaced the girl who was cut after they found out she already had a professional recording contract - that comes with a bit of pressure. Singing "No One" by Alicia Keys. I think she's doing really well. She has a nice, clear voice and good confidence on stage. But what do I know? Judges seem to agree. I'd like to see her again.

Scott: 23 from Arizona. Not to blatantly label, but most people will remember him from auditions as the blind guy. We also found out that he's an amazing singer and pianist. Singing "Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby. A little worried this song is too old, but he has such a nice voice. I want to listen him while driving in the car with my windows down - sorry. He is too cute. Judges like him because he's authentic - I agree. Hope we get to see him at the piano.

Kendall: 24 from Texas. Hate to say it, but I feel like she's the token blonde country singer. She is crazy talented and beautiful, but a little boring. Judges think she's adorable, but not stellar reviews. I'm worried she'll get all the country fan votes and that will push her through.

Jorge: 20 from Puerto Rico. Singing "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" by Elton John. He was criticized during auditions for trouble with pronunciation because of his accent. You can tell he worked on that for this song. He really has a great voice. He made Paula cry. Prompting Simon to say "You heart him, don't you?" Haha. Ok, now he's crying. I'm a softy.

Lil Rounds: 23 from Tennessee. She gets a full name listing because let's face it, an incredible name. I've liked her from the start. Singing "Be Without You" by Mary J. Great song. She sounds amazing and looks confident on stage. She worked "call this show if you can't be without me baby" into the lyrics. I love it. Simon called her brilliant. Cara called her powerhouse.

My Boy Picks:
1) Scott 2) Ju'Not

My Girl Picks:
1) Lil 2) Felicia

Wild Card:
Jorge

Paula Notes: Really with it tonight. Love her hair. Jewelery scary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment