March 31, 2009

idol top 9

I've failed my own self as a blogger by posting about Idol twice in a row with nothing in between. Please forgive me, and I'll try to forgive myself.

Ahh well. Here we go. The theme this week is "most popular downloads". Interesting idea. Has the potential to bring a lot of different genres. I was afraid to would be new pop songs that I'm not cool enough to know yet, but it seems to be just popular songs overall.

Anoop: Singing "Pilot" by Usher. Seems like a good song choice for Anoop. His voice sounds good, and he's really performing it. It's funny because he seems to like the sensual songs, and as much as I do like him, I don't really see the sex appeal - something that Usher really relies on. Judges not overly impressed. Simon called it a mess - I wouldn't go that far, but it just didn't seem professional. This might be it for Anoop.

Megan: Singing "Turn Your Lights Down Low" by Bob Marley. Oh Megan, you cute little weirdo. She obviously loves this song and it goes well with her unique voice. I'm wondering why she always sings behind the mic stand and never walks around. I'm getting a little bored with that. Judges seem bored with her too. She doesn't seem to be taking their advice from week to week.

Danny: Singing "What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts. I might be wrong, but I think this is the first ballad Danny is singing on the big stage. His isn't the strongest voice among the guys, but I still really do like him. This is probably cheesy, but he just puts a lot of emotion into it, and you feel that. (I know one particular reader who probably just disowned me for typing that)Simon agrees with me though - he called it Danny's best performance thus far on the big stage.

Allison: Singing "Don't Speak" by No Doubt and playing guitar. I love this song. Yikes, her wardrobe is slightly frightening. Luckily, her voice is awesome as usual. I just love this little girl. Randy and Simon agree with me on the outfit, but everyone liked her performance. She's still one of my favorites.

Sidenote: Haha, you can see David Spade behind Randy.

Scott: Singing "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel. Shocking, Scott is singing Billy. He pretty much impersonates Billy every week, but you can tell he's really psyched to get the chance to sing this one. It's true, his voice and style is definitely suited for the song. The judges all loved it - Simon calling it his "best by a country mile." Scott was definitely smart this week playing to his strengths.

Matt: Singing "You Found Me" by The Fray at the piano. They have him on a side stage surrounded by audience members - it's a little awkward and distracting. He sounded good, although it sounded a little like an imitation. Ahh Paula agrees with me! Oh Paula, we're like sisters. The others didn't like it either, which is a shame because he was in the bottom two last week. Too bad because he really is talented, but I think he's letting self-doubt and indecisiveness get the best of him.

Lil Rounds: Singing "I Surrender" by Celine Dion. She mentions paying careful attention to this song choice given the judges' previous criticism. I gotta say, I don't agree with this one. The song does show off her big voice, but it's just a boring ballad. It seems like she's still looking for what the judges want from her. Incidentally, I do love her hair this week. Alas, judges still don't love the song choice, but did like her voice. Oh no, Ryan is trying to interview her kids. One is giving Randy a big hug - too cute.

Adam: Singing "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherries. Interesting choice, which is no surprise from Adam. He's rocking the Elvis hair again this week. I've expressed my reservations about Adam, but his professionalism and stage presence over others like Anoop and Matt is glaringly obvious. This performance is wild and weird, and it definitely works for him. Paula just nearly ruined it for me by comparing him to Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler. Everyone else liked him too as usual.

Kris: Singing "Ain't no Sunshine" by Bill Withers at the piano. Kris, I worry I've been too judgemental and hard on you. So, I'm wiping the slate clean tonight, and we're starting over. Nice to meet you. He's doing something really cool with this song, and his piano playing is pretty impressive. I'll admit it, he is talented. I still don't find him very engaging and a little cocky. Baby steps, Kris. Baby steps. Judges loved him as usual.

Who I think will go home: Megan or Anoop
Who I hope will go home: Anoop
Who got my vote: Danny and Scott

0 comments:

Post a Comment