September 3, 2009

2009 fall schedule: wednesdays

Wednesdays could turn into a DVR conundrum for me, but that really depends on how much I like the new shows. ABC pulled together a comedy-heavy schedule with ALL news shows for the entire night. It's a risk, but I think a worthwhile one. Let's get down to business...

NBC

Mercy: You've probably seen the incessant promotion for Mercy on NBC this summer. One of two new medical dramas for NBC (the other being Trauma on Mondays). As I said, NBC has historically done well with this formula. While the thought of another hospital-based medical drama has me yawning, Mercy comes at the story from the perspective of nurses. Hawthorne (TNT) tried to do the same thing this summer, and I didn't love it (not because of nurses). We'll see how this one measures up. Look for familiar faces like Michelle Trachtenberg and James Tupper from Men in Trees. This was originally supposed to be a midseason show, but due to the delay of Parenthood, the series will run for 13 episodes in the fall to be replaced by Parenthood in the spring. (premieres Sept. 23)

Law & Order: SVU: Always good to see this show back, although I thought last season was just so-so. Thankfully, some good news for the ADA position after that unfortunate stone face actress last year. Christina Lahti will appear as ADA Sonja Paxton for the first four episodes to be replaced by the rotating ADA Stephanie March (my favorite) for the rest of the season. Other guest stars this season will include Scott Foley, Eric McCormack, Jeri Ryan, and Rosie Perez. (premieres Sept. 23)

The Jay Leno Show: Every week night starting Sept. 14

ABC

Hank: The bad buzz around the pilot of this new Kelsey Grammar comedy should be enough to make ABC drop it like a bad habit before it even airs. But such an investment in a lead actor has them retooling the entire pilot, which includes adding Melissa McCarthy as a supporting character. I still don't know if Sookie is enough for me to watch. Oh right, the premise is a high-powered CEO (Hank) is laid off and reacquainting himself with his family. (premieres Sept. 30)

The Middle: About a middle class family in Indiana trying to keep their heads above water in these tough times. Malcolm in the Middle meets Everybody Loves Raymond meets I Won't Be Watching. The parents are played by Patricia Heaton (Raymond) and Neil Flynn (Scrubs). (premieres Sept. 30)

Modern Family: This show is probably getting the best buzz among new comedies, and I'm really excited for it. Featuring separate but related families of three very different shapes and sizes, staring Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy), Julie Bowen (Ed), and Jesse Tyler Ferguson, (The Class) among others. (premieres Sept. 23)

Cougar Town: At first, I wasn't thrilled with the concept of this show. "Cougar" has become such an over-used word and sexist concept. But I've caught a few promos this summer, and I'll admit they did make me laugh. And I'm just excited to see Courtney Cox on the small screen again. I'm officially giving it a chance. (premieres Sept. 23)

Eastwick: I've been having the same feelings about Eastwick as I did about Lipstick Jungle (and not just because of Lindsay Price). I really want to like it, but I'm afraid no one else will. There was virtually no love for Jungle among critics, bloggers and viewers. I saw the flaws, but parts of that show were really good. I didn't understand all the hating. Now, I'm starting to get the same vibe about Eastwick. I say all this without even seeing the pilot. I may very well hate it. But I hope I don't. Anyway, it's based on the film about three women in a small New England town find themselves drawn together by a mysterious man who grants unique powers to each of them. (premieres Sept. 23)

CBS

The New Adventures of Old Christine: Good for Julia Dreyfus for chugging along and collecting award nominations. I have yet to see a full episode, but Old Christine has pulled through as a solid comedy for CBS. (premieres Sept. 23)

Gary Unmarried: I watched two episodes of the first season last year because I like Jay Mohr. Unfortunately, I found the same plot that CBS keeps reverting back to - stupid husbands/boyfriends screwing up and pissing off mean wives/girlfriends. Too much quality television out there for any time to be spent on this. (premieres Sept. 23)

Criminal Minds: This show is a bit of a guilty pleasure of me. Though never critically acclaimed, I'm always drawn in by the stories and characters. Because of DVR crowding, I tend to catch up via reruns in the summer, which I'm doing now. I'm hearing there was a really suspenseful season finale, but I haven't seen it yet. Special shout out to Matthew Gray Gubler (Reid), who is completely underrated. (premieres Sept. 23)

CSI: NY: Still zero interest in these. (premieres Sept. 23)

FOX

So You Think You Can Dance: I had the premiere date wrong on my Tuesday recap. The Wednesday airings will begin on Sept. 9th for a few weeks of auditions. Then, performances will air on Tuesday nights, followed by results on Wednesdays. In the meantime, More to Love will finish it's summer run on Tuesdays. Got that?

Glee: Many of you got a preview on Glee when the pilot was show during the Idol season last spring. I strongly encourage you to check out the pilot on Hulu or Fox.com as soon as possible. This show is amazing! I can't wait for the season to start. Can you say Kristin Chenowith five times fast? (premieres Sept. 9)

CW

America's Next Top Model: Never watched this show and don't plan to. (premieres Sept. 9)

The Beautiful Life: A new CW drama about the world behind high-fashion modeling as experienced by newcomer teen models Raina Mayer (Sara Paxton), a stunning beauty with a secret past, and CHRIS ANDREWS (Benjamin Hollingsworth), and Iowa farm boy struggling to learn the business. Mischa Barton plays "aging" model Sonja Stone and Corbin Bleu (High School Musical) plays fellow model Isaac Taylor. I'm curious, but not sold. I'll probably catch the first few episodes online to decide if it will have a place in my teen drama library. (premieres Sept. 16)

BRAVO

Launch My Line: BRAVO's second attempt at finding a new home on the runway after the unfortunate mess of The Fashion Show. Launch My Line will feature 10 established designers paired with 10 industry professionals - stylists, music producers, CEOs, etc., who have always dreamed of having their own clothing line. The teams will work together through challenges to bring their vision to life and create a fashion line. In the end, one team's line will be launched. Acclaimed designers, twin brothers Dean and Dan Caten of DSQUARED2 will host. Stefani Greenfield and Lisa Kline serve as judges. Do I live in a closet or has no one else heard of these people? (premieres Sept. 16)

0 comments:

Post a Comment