September 1, 2009

2009 fall schedule: mondays

It's the first day of September and fall television is right around the corner. Start doing some squats to prepare for extended couch time. Over the next week or so, I'll be laying out the fall schedule day by day. Some of it is subject to change, but this should give you a good idea of what to expect.

MONDAYS
Last year, Monday was the night to beat. Still a lot of strong programming on this night, but not as much of a DVR dilemma for me.

NBC
Heroes: Admittedly, I haven't watched this show since the first season. It suffered from poor reviews, low ratings, and almost angry fan backlash last season. If NBC hadn't invested so much in the promotion and cast of this show, I don't think it would be back this year. Even then, it's just for a half season with Chuck taking this slot in the spring. (premieres Sept. 21)

Trauma: The first in a crop of new medical dramas, Trauma is about first responders to traumatic accidents. The most recent promo spots on NBC look a little cheesy and over-the-top, but I'll probably check it out since NBC has a good record for this format (ER, Third Watch, etc.) This will be replaced mid-season with Day One, a new drama about life on Earth following a global catastrophe. I'm a bit more interested in that one. (premieres Sept. 28)

The Jay Leno Show: Jay Leno's Monday through Friday 10:00 hour is really changing the face of NBC this season. Fewer shows in total, especially in the hour-long drama category. Shorter runs for new and returning shows sharing fall/spring time slots. I'm definitely not likely to watch Jay every night, but I will check it out to see how they mix up the format. Some good news: Ross Matthews, my favorite correspondent, will be back. (premieres Sept. 14)

ABC
Dancing with the Stars: The line up includes Kathy Ireland, supermodel, Macy Gray, singer, Melissa Joan Hart, actress, Mya, R&B singer, Ashley Hamilton, ex-husband of Shannen Doherty (seriously?), Michael Irvin, ex-NFL wide receiver, Mark Dacascos, The Chairman on Iron Chef America, Donny Osmond, entertainer, Kelly Osbourne, daughter of Ozzy Osbourne, Debi Mazar, actress, Chuck Liddell, light heavyweight champion, Natalie Coughlin, Olympic swimmer, Joanna Krupa, model, Louie Vito, snowboarder, Aaron Carter, singer, and Tom DeLay, former House majority leader. (premieres Sept. 21)

Castle: This was one of my favorite newbies last spring, so glad ABC held onto it. Nathan Fillion completely charmed me as Castle. His mother and daughter - played by Susan Sullivan and Molly Quinn - are so much fun. I'd like to see a little more from Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, but she really improved over the course of last season. Fans should know that the network is planning to release Castle's first book as an actual crime novel. (premieres Sept. 7)

CBS
How I Met Your Mother: CBS is maintaining its ratings bonanza Monday comedy night, but changing the order a bit. HIYM will now lead the night, and I can't wait for it to come back. This has become a fixture on my TV schedule. (premieres Sept. 21)

Accidentally on Purpose: They stuck this newbie in the middle of the line up hoping to maintain the audience from both ends. This is Jenna Elfman's new comedy about a woman who becomes pregnant after a one-night stand with a much younger man. I'm concerned it won't have strong legs to stand on for the long haul, but I'll give it a chance. (premieres Sept. 21)

Two and a Half Men: Never watched an episode and don't plan to. Isn't that half man full grown by now? (premieres Sept. 21)

Big Bang Theory: Can't wait! Let's have another round of applause for the much-deserved Emmy nomination for Jim Parsons. Last season was so great, I love how they've developed the Penny character. I just hope they can maintain the momentum in a later time slot. (premieres Sept. 21)

CSI: Miami: I still have no interest in these. Even when I come across a rerun on a boring Sunday afternoon, they still don't hook me. (premieres Sept. 21)

FOX
House: I'm excited to see how things play out with House starting the season in the nutty home. Hate to admit it, but I got a tiny bit bored with House last season during the Thirteen Huntington's story line. Rumor has it that Michael Weston, who played private eye Lucas Douglas last season, will be back. I loved him. (premieres Sept. 21)

Lie to Me: I never got into this show last season, but I heard good things and it pulled fairly strong ratings. Just don't have room in the DVR. (premieres Sept. 28)

CW
One Tree Hill: It's not polite to blog in anger, so I won't express my frustration that Privileged got the axe and this business is still on television. (premieres Sept. 14)

Gossip Girl: Last year, I made it my mission to finally catch up with the universe and watch Gossip Girl from the beginning. I didn't do it. And you know what? I feel okay about that. I no longer feel inferior for missing this show. I may sit down and plow through it some day, but I'm not in a hurry - partly due to the fact that I heard less than stellar feedback about last season. Important to note, however, new recurring roles this season have gone to Hillary Duff and Joanna Garcia, both of whom I love. (premieres Sept. 14)

1 comments:

Andrea said...

I used to love Heroes, but now I just wish they'd get rid of it altogether and make room for MORE CHUCK!!!

Also, they first 5 minutes of CSI:Miami are always worth watching for the ridiculousness. Once the theme song plays, it all goes down hill from there. www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948

Post a Comment