August 21, 2009

tgif top 10: tv shows based on films

Earlier this week, I posted about TV shows adapted from films or books and noted that it's much more common (and successful) for a film to be based on a TV show than vice versa. There are a million lists of the top films based on TV series. I decided to do some research and try to come up with a list of those who did it best in this less notable category. So, here's my best attempt. These aren't necessarily the most successful shows, but they are my favorites (sadly, the two do not historically go hand-in-hand).

Note: To make it harder, I left out all animated shows, so no comic book derivatives.

Top 10 Television Series Adapted from a Film
  1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

  2. M*A*S*H

  3. Friday Night Lights

  4. Flipper (the original series, not that Jessica Alba disaster)

  5. Mr. Belvedere (based on the film Sitting Pretty)

  6. The Odd Couple

  7. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (Sean Patrick Flannery swoon)

  8. Fame (a film remake is on the way)

  9. 10 Things I Hate About You (you got a spot, now earn it!)
  10. Next year, I'd like to see Parenthood on this list. It's one of the shows I'm most excited for this season.

Update: I just found out that there already was a Parenthood series that lasted for one season in 1990 staring Ed Begley Jr., David Arquette and Leonardo DiCaprio. Ron Howard produced that one as well, and Joss Whedon wrote for it. Let's hope the second attempt has better luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment