April 14, 2009

idol top 7

I'd like to start tonight's post with the woman who is the Idol of all of our hearts this week. Even Brian Williams said so on the news tonight. If you haven't seen it, you must drop everything and watch this right now. (Sorry, they're not allowing me to embed)

Tonight's theme is music from the movies, and none other than Quentin Tarantino is this week's mentor. Bizarre, but I kind of love it.

Looks like they're trying to correct the time problems from the past few weeks because they skipped the judges' stage walk tonight - just straight to the table intro. Simon just added that they will be judging two at a time (rather than all four judging each contestant) to save some minutes as well. This is a little annoying - I think the producers could have come up with some better solutions. Like skipping the past five minutes of Ryan/judges banter.

Let's get to it.

Allison: Singing "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith from Armageddon. I'm not ashamed to say this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. I like that Allison picked a ballad tonight. We haven't seen much of this from her. It's not her best performance, but I always like listening to her. Paula called her authentic, and Simon called her the girls' only hope in this competition.

They just cut to Katie Couric in the audience. Weird.

Anoop: Singing "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Watching Tarantino coach them is so entertaining. Anoop went for another ballad this week, which was a good call since judges liked him last week. In my opinion, only Bryan Adams can pull off this song. Anoop sounds good, but a little whiney. I stand corrected, Randy loved it. Kara says he's found his place, calling it one of his best vocals.

Adam: Singing "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwold from Easy Rider. Good choice, Adam. Everyone's talking about Adam...all the time. I'll never argue that he's not super talented, but a lot of that comes from his stage training. Not to take that away from him because it's incredible, but I don't want to immediately put him at the top because this competition is about discovering new talent, which in itself, means these people are in a learning process. And some of these stage tricks can be learned. On vocals alone, I don't think he's necessarily the best. Ok, I'll stop blabbering now. His performance was super cool. Paula is gushing like a stuck pig. Simon warned that people will either love it or hate it.

They just cut to the woman who used to play Kate on Days of Our Lives. I have no idea if she's still on the show. I may be dating myself considerably. You all went through a Days phase, admit it.

Matt: Singing "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" by Bryan Adams from Don Juan DeMarco. When I heard the song choice, I was going to give Matt the cheesey award for the evening. But I'm actually loving this. Maybe this means I need to give myself the cheesey award. He lost me on a couple of the high notes, but I really like this. Uh oh, I think I'm alone in this. Randy and Kara did not love it. Incidentally, I do love Kara's hair tonight.

Danny: Singing (without his glasses) "Endless Love" by Lionel Richie from Endless Love (and Happy Gilmore). Not an easy song to sing or make current. A little shakey in the beginning, but he wins me over every time. Sounds great. Simon was a little bored because he did a transitional rendition with nothing new, but recognized that it was an emotional song for Danny to sing. Oh Simon, you're going soft on us.

They just showed Christina Applegate looking engrossed in the audience. I love her!

Kris: Singing "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from Once. Oh Kris, you gone and done it. You may remember them winning the best original song Oscar last year. This is one of my favorite movies. Kris is either completely cliche or completely genius in this moment. I've been tough on Kris, so I'm going with the latter. Trouble is, I'm holding him to a huge standard because I love the original performers of this song. He just doesn't hold a candle to them. I worry that it won't resonate with voters because they won't recognize the song. Randy didn't love it, but Kara did. Why won't he show any emotion? Look alive, Kris.

Lil Rounds: Singing "The Rose" by Bette Midler from The Rose. Such a pretty song. Lil does make unexpected choices, doesn't she? She's bringing in a gospel tone in the middle. I like it, but I'm not sure it's enough to keep Lil in the game. At this point, she needs to blow our socks off. This is a pretty performance, but not groundbreaking. Paula says some nice things with Simon rolling his eyes the whole time. He said she's not the artist we first met. Lil takes this opportunity to really defend herself for the first time.

Who I think will go home: Lil
Who I want to go home: Anoop
Who got my vote: Allison and Adam

0 comments:

Post a Comment