March 17, 2009

idol top 11 (100th blog!)

This is my 100th blog. Unfortunately, I have nothing clever to contribute tonight. It's St. Patrick's Day, and it's Tuesday. I seem to have developed a weekly Idol blogging habit, so here we go...
Tonight is country night. Really? It seems a little early to throw this one at them. We'll see how it goes. Randy Travis is the mentor, which is really cool. He's pretty much the epitome of country music.

Michael the Oil Rigger: Being from Texas, he might be the closest we have to a country singer, and he's taking on a tough song - "Ain't Goin' Down Til the Sun Comes Up" by Garth Brooks. Lyrically, it's a super fast song, and he's not missing a word. I would have stopped breathing after the first chorus. The judges liked him (except Simon), but obviously don't like that style. I think he'll get a lot of votes from the country fans.

Allison: Singing "Blame it on Your Heart" by Patty Loveless. To quote Randy Travis, "This girl has pipes." This is definitely not her typical genre, but she sounds awesome. I love this little girl. The judges love it even though Simon is reluctant to admit it.

Kris: Singing "To Make You Feel My Love" by Garth Brooks. I'm a little bored with the song choice because so many people have covered it. Actually, I just find him boring. He has a nice voice and everything, but blahhhh. Simon thought it was "terrific" and everyone else loved it too. I guess it's just not my thing.

Lil Rounds: Singing "Independence Day" by Martina McBride. This is a beautiful song, and I officially have goosebumps. This woman is so talented, it's crazy - and here's an R&B singer doing country. Judges didn't like her song choice. Simon called her "Little" hahaha he's such an ass.

Adam: There isn't a lot of buzz around Idol this season, but the little buzz there is seems to be around Adam. Singing "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. His video with Randy Travis is hilarious...singing a song by one of the kings of country in a dark sort of Middle Eastern style. I typically like this kind of offbeat contestant, but he just doesn't do it for me. I can't put my finger on it. Simon called it "indulgent rubbish" and Randy called it "current and young"

Scott: Singing "Wild Angels" by Martina McBride at the piano. It's a pretty ballad - the best style to suit his voice, but runs the risk of getting repetitive. I worry that Simon is going to skewer him. Actually, he liked him, but everyone wants him to step it up with the song choices.

Alexis: Singing "Jolene" by Dolly Parton - a classic. This isn't an easy song to sing, and she's not Dolly Parton. It's the same risk you take when you try to sing a Whitney track. She made it a little bluesy, and it didn't really work for her. The judges don't love it. I still really like her though, so I hope she stays around.

Danny: Singing "Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood. It looks like he's wearing a parka. Distracting. It's a pretty song and gives him the opportunity to belt out some big notes. A good choice for him a thing - he wouldn't have done with with traditional country twang. The crowd goes crazy for this boy. Judges still love him, though he had some weak spots.

Anoop: Singing "You're Always on my Mind" by Willie Nelson - another classic. I love this song. Anoop is no Willie, but he's singing really well. You can tell he's really trying to step it up after being toward the bottom last week. Simon said he's gone "zero to hero" and I have to agree.

Megan: Singing "I Go Walking After Midnight" by Patsy Cline. Here's another classic song, and you can't touch Patsy. Megan definitely has a different sound - I think you either love it or hate it. I find it cute and fun, but I worry it doesn't have staying power for the duration of the competition. Although I do like that she brings something really different to the table. Apparently, she is sick with the flu. The judges really liked it.

Matt: Singing "So Small" by Carrie Underwood at the piano. I don't know this song, but it's nice. Nothing too special. He sounds a little like Gavin DeGraw. I think I compared him to Justin Timberlake last week. Odd. I do like him though, and he's a super talented pianist. Judges are very complementary.

Who I hope will go home: Kris
Who I think will go home: Alexis
Who got my vote*: Allison and Anoop

*My vote is 25% based on talent and 75% based on my bizarre emotional attachments, which will likely fluctuate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment