February 13, 2009

tgif top 10

It's Valentine's Day this weekend, so I'm going for thematic list. I'm am a complete sucker for the will they/won't they television couple. Even though I know a show can't (and shouldn't) be all about the star-crossed storyline - so it is what keeps viewers tuning in every week (ok, probably more so for the ladies).

So, here are my top ten favorites. I'm not talking about regular couples - no Cliff & Claire or Mike & Carol. I'm talking about the couples that always come so close, but never get there. The ones that make you want to tear your hair out, but you keep watching like it's a bloody train wreck. The best examples are those that are surrounded by a storyline and cast that's excellent in its own right.

Top 10 Will They/Won't They TV Couples:
  1. Tony and Angela (Who's the Boss) - One of the earliest and best examples - they finally got together in the end, and the show just wasn't the same.

  2. Ross and Rachel (Friends) - We all spent a better part of the 90s agonizing over this one. I loved how they ended it.

  3. Jim and Pam (The Office) - These two get me every time. The chemistry and nerd love is played to perfection. Thankfully, the writers strike a perfect balance between them and the rest of the super cast.

  4. Mulder and Sculley (X-Files) - Here's a completely different format - one of the first shows to pull off such strong chemistry in a pretty intense genre. I was always rooting for them.

  5. Donna and Josh (The West Wing) - Some of the best dialogue written between two characters in the history of television.

  6. Luke and Lorelei (Gilmore Girls) - I know I gush over this show frequently, but it is justified in this case. The two actors worked so well off of each other and managed to master the comedy and drama of it.

  7. Joey and Pacey (Dawson's Creek) - I know you were waiting for Joey and Dawson. But no! It was all about Joey and Pacey for me.

  8. Kevin and Winnie (The Wonder Years) - What I loved about this show was how the writers mad
    e you feel like it was the end of the world - or the best moment in the history of the world - when these two broke up and got back together repeatedly, exactly how it would feel if you were that age.

  9. Doug and Carol (ER) - I think a lot of people forget that this elderly series began the first episode with Nurse Carol's near-deadly suicide attempt. The show was so much more character-driven back then, and their story played was disturbingly realistic.

  10. Carrie and Big (SATC) - That last scene in Paris where she chases him up the stairs and trips him, and they laugh at each other. So good.

Honorable mention goes to Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. I simply cannot choose between those boys.

AHHH...I just realized I forgot Brennan and Booth from Bones. Sometimes I worry that I am the only one who watches this show (although the ratings are always good), but I just love these two.

0 comments:

Post a Comment