May 14, 2011

rejects and renewals: abc

Like NBC, ABC has been more of a comedy network for me this year. The network didn't have as much success with new shows as previous seasons, but the list of returning programming is still pretty solid. Here we go...

Renewed:
Dancing with the Stars
Desperate Housewives
Cougar Town
Castle
Body of Proof
The Bachelor
The Bachelorette
Grey's Anatomy
Happy Endings
The Middle
Modern Family
Private Practice

Canceled:
Better With You
Brothers and Sisters
Detroit 1-8-7
Mr. Sunshine
No Ordinary Family
Off the Map
V

ABC boasts more survivors this year than NBC. The only show I'm sort of sorry to see go is Off the Map. It was quite literally Grey's Anatomy in the jungle, but I just really liked having Matt Saracen (ok fine, Zach Gilford) on my screen. The idea of Matthew Perry and Allison Janey in a comedy together was dreamy, but Mr. Sunshine just didn't come together. It was awkward and a little painful to watch at times. Long time Brothers and Sisters fans must be bummed that the show didn't get a proper send off.

As for returning comedies, Modern Family, The Middle, and Cougar Town stayed near the top of my list this year. They're just always fun and easy to watch. Happy Endings was a mid-season starter that grew on me this spring. Seemed like every network tried the 6-friend-sitcom format this season -- Better With You, Traffic Light, Perfect Couples -- and I was ready to reject Happy Endings straight away. But I've laughed out loud often enough - especially in the most recent episodes - that I'm glad this one survived.

This might be the first year that I've only watched one drama on ABC. I'm not sure how or when, but I just stopped watching Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice. For Grey's, I just got a little bored but always meant to go back to it. And eventually I realized that Private Practice is shamelessly sad. All the time. And who needs that? So, that leaves Castle. I'm not the hugest fan of the will-they-won't-they story, but Nathan Fillion will always have a place in my DVR.

I feel like ABC can still find it's Lost Part 2. One great breakout, unique drama next year would help bring new energy to the network. We'll see what pilots come to fruition next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment