September 19, 2010

fall 2010 schedule: abc

Ok, the major premiere week is upon us, so I need to get going. Here's ABC...

Monday

Dancing with the Stars
11th season premieres: September 20
my take: The contestants are Jennifer Grey, Audrina Patridge, Florence Henderson, Margaret Cho, Brandy Norwood, Bristol Palin, David Hasselhoff, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, Rick Fox, Michael Bolton, Kyle Massey, Kurt Warner. I won't watch, but my money's on Baby.

Castle
2nd season premieres: September 20
my take: There are many things about this show that I really liked last year - Nate Fillion is so fun to watch, and the actors that play his daughter and mother are perfect. It took me a while to come around on Beckett though (especially that bizarre hair cut). I'll keep watching for now, but I'm not interested in the back-and-forth lovey stuff between Castle and Beckett.

Tuesday

No Ordinary Family
1st season premieres: September 28
my take: It's a clever premise about a family with super powers, but has the potential to be super cheesy. I think I'll skip this. For those who like Michael Chiklis (The Commish/The Shield) and Julie Benz (Dexter), you may want to tune in. You'll also recognize Autumn Reeser and Stephen Collins (dad from 7th Heaven).

Dancing with the Stars Results

Detroit 187
1st season premieres:
September 21
my take: I'm not going to complain that this is another cop show. Really, I'm not. ABC actually doesn't do many of these, so I will be fair. I think we have The Wire to thank for featuring cities other than NYC. The premise is pretty basic - a downtown Detroit precinct and all that it means. You'll recognize Michael Imperioli (who can only play gangsters and cops), but many of the others are newcomers.

Wednesday

The Middle
2nd season premieres:
September 22
my take: This show is not appointment television for me, but I did catch a few episodes last season. It's actually hilarious. Between this and Modern Family, ABC definitely got it right when casting the kids. A super talented and funny trio in this show.

Better with You
1st season premieres: September 22
my take: This is ABC's only new fall comedy. Considering the booming success of Modern Family and the relatively strong numbers for The Middle and Cougar Town (all new last year), I'd say things are looking good for another outing from ABC, but I'm not immediately pulled in. Despite good cast members like Joanna Garcia and Debra Jo Rupp (mom from That 70s Show), the premise - basically two daughters and their contrasting relationships - bores me.

Modern Family
2nd season premieres:
September 22
my take: I have a teeny tiny fear that Modern Family is getting over-hyped after the much deserved Emmy wins. But I don't even care. I love it and can't wait for it to come back.

Cougar Town
2nd season premieres: September 22
my take: I don't know why I was oddly embarrassed to admit this last year, but I like this show almost as much as Modern Family. The ensemble cast is hilarious. Thank god they overcame that horrendous title.

The Whole Truth
1st season premieres: September 22
my take: Another new drama for ABC. Another law drama for the world. This one stars Maura Tierney and Rob Morrow as Assistant DA and defense attorney paired against each other each week - and follows the cases from beginning to end. I'm sure it will be a solid show, but I think I will pass on it.

Thursday

My Generation
1st season premieres:
September 23
my take: I feel like this could be really bad or really good. The premise is a documentary-style drama about members of an Austin, Texas high school class of 2000, which follows them 10 years later. I'm intrigued enough by the creativity of the plot to check it out. A lot of newcomers in the cast, but you'll recognize some from failed series and teen shows.

Grey's Anatomy
7th season premieres:
September 23
my take: Oh why, oh why to I continue to watch it? Because it's a train wreck that you can't look away from. And last season's finale was perfect proof of that.

Private Practice
4th season premieres: September 23
my take: Anyone still watch this? I really don't have many bad things to say about it, but there is just too much on Thursday nights. Something has to give.

Friday

Secret Millionaire
1st season premieres: TBD
my take: No

Body of Proof
1st season premieres:
TBD
my take: Guess what? This show is about crime. Because television viewers only love shows about crime. This one features Dana Delaney as a medical examiner, so I assume we're mostly dealing with murder crime. The kind that gets the best ratings. You'll also recognize Jeri Ryan and Geoffrey Arend (Mr. Christina Hendricks). No thanks.

Sunday

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
8th season premieres:
September 26
my take: Ty is officially looking haggard these days. Can't blame him. Damn show makes me cry every time I catch a minute of it.

Desperate Housewives
7th season premieres: September 26
my take: I don't watch, but can someone give me a reason why this show hasn't retired? Possibly because of Vanessa Williams joining the cast this season? It just seems so tired.

Brothers & Sisters
5th season premieres:
September 26
my take: Too much drama for me, but I know many people love this show. Heard about some pretty significant cast shake-ups, so we'll see if/how that affects the ratings.

In summary:

  • If you're looking for V, it's coming back in the spring.
  • Most looking forward to the return of: Modern Family and Cougar Town
  • New shows I'll check out: My Generation and possibly Better With You

0 comments:

Post a Comment