April 8, 2009

idol top 8

I'm a day late and a dollar short watching Idol on DVR tonight, but I've become incapable of watching without typing, so here we go.

Last night, the contestants were charged with singing songs from the year they were born. I always like this theme for some reason. It always bring some variety.

Danny: Surprisingly, Danny is the oldest contestant. Born in 1980. This depresses me. Danny's home videos are always so cute - his family seems so great. He's singing a version of "Stand by Me" from that year. It starts off as a slow ballad picking up into a bit of a lounge beat. I like the more traditional version of this song, but I still have a crush on this boy. Randy didn't like the arrangement, but loved his voice. Kara says "you did you own thing and you did it well". Paula loved it and Simon thought it was great.

Why does Simon always comment on Paula's remarks? It's old.

Kris: Singing Don Henley's "All She Wants To Do is Dance" from 1985. If you remember, I made a resolution for a fresh start with Kris last week. I recognized that he is quite talented. He sounds great again tonight. But I can't help it - I'm bored. He just doesn't do it for me. Hey, I tried. Judges didn't love it. Simon used some of his go-to words: indulgent, boring, and forgettable. I just feel like there were so many good songs in 1985. Why that one?

Lil Rounds: Singing Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It?" from 1984. Love this choice. Based on prior feedback, I think she really needs to make this song modern. She sounds great, but I'm not sure she really did anything new or different with the song. Paula didn't like it, and that's never a good sign. Simon called it a "ghastly copy cat performance" - that's harsh, but I do think she has way more inside than she's bringing out to the stage. Come on Lil! I want her to stick around for a while because I'd love to see her make a comeback.

Anoop: His parents are super cute. Singing Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors" from 1986. Such a beautiful song. He actually sounds great singing it. He's also wearing a great sweater/tie combo. Judges all loved it because he made it his own.

Scott: Singing "The Search is Over" by Survivor from 1985. Scott's switching it up with the guitar this week. Super brave move for Scott. He's really taking a stab at rocking it out this week. A little awkward, but such is Scott. I love that he took the chance, and his voice sounds good as always. Simon suggested going back to the piano again next week. The others basically said it was just okay.

Allison: Singing Bonnie Rait's "I Can't Make You Love Me" from 1992. Yes, 1992. Here's another great song. A different choice for Allison, but I love it. I really love everything she does. Judges all like her, but Simon says she needs to let her personality shine through more, so we can get to know her. I find her totally endearing and quirky, but I think some of what Simon is referring to is immaturity, since she's only 16.

Matt: Singing Stevie Wonder's "Part time Lovers" from 1985. Ohhh I used to love this song. I believe it was regularly featured on my Walkman. He's definitely playing up the Justin Timberlake comparison this week - as he should. Judges really loved it. I think Kara's head almost exploded.

Fox really needs to get a watch. DVR missed Adam's entire performance when it cut off at 9pm. Did we really need Kris to tell us his ferris wheel story? Luckily, I'm watching his performance online.

Adam: Singing "Mad World" by Tears for Fears from 1982. There's no denying it, this boy has an unbelievable voice. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it was flawless. Simon gave him a well-deserved, and very rare standing ovation.

Who I want to go home: Lil (hate to say it)
Who I think will go home: Lil
Who would have gotten my vote if I watched this last night: Allison and Adam

_____________________________________

Since I'm watching the results show right now, here are some highlights:
  • Frankie Avalon singing Venus??? Are you kidding? I love it. I don't even care. The song is from 1959 - the year of Simon's birth.
  • Paula is wearing leather elbow gloves.
  • I only recently heard Flo Rida for the first time. I know, I'm lame. Is he from Florida? Is that a play on words? Anyway, I do love this song. He's also super cute, although I'm not sure he'd appreciate that descriptive.
  • Anoop, Scott and Lil are in the bottom three. The voters got it right this week.
  • And it's Scott "singing for his life" this week. I was dreading this. He seems like such a sweet guy. The good thing is, this performance is actually better than it was last night.
  • They are reeeeeealy dragging this out. Simon made the decision to send him home.
  • Awww I'll miss Scott.

0 comments:

Post a Comment