September 28, 2008

programming note

I will be out of the blogosphere for 2 weeks. Please try to find a way to go on. A few notes before I leave...

Last week was back-to-back premieres. Some of my favorites/thoughts:
  • Grey's Anatomy - Christina getting pummeled by an icicle and making out with hot soldier man. He is definitely coming back, by the way.
  • The Office - Jim & Pam finally got engaged. Just when I think this storyline is getting tired, the writers come through with a great scene. Overall, the episode was amazing. Great use of the entire cast, which reminds me of early Office days.
  • Ugly Betty moved to New York (for real), and I like it better.
  • I love Big Bang Theory on CBS. I celebrate my nerdiness.
  • Lipstick Jungle earned a spot on my DVR this season. Mary Tyler Moore and Rosie Perez were great.
  • New comedies: Gary Unmarried is awful (pretty much identical to every other stupid family sitcom created by CBS), Worst Week (TV version of Meet the Parents) is actually not bad, the casting is very strong.
  • Do Not Disturb (Jerry O'Connell comedy on FOX) gets the award for first cancellation of the season after only three episodes. It was really, really, really bad. How do shows like this get produced?

Next Week:

  • Look for a few new shows from last season that are looking to have a strong re-launch: Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money, Chuck, and Pushing Daisies. If I had to pick one, check out Pushing Daisies. It's hard to explain, but this one is just cool to look at.
  • One other newbie from last season that I haven't mentioned yet is Life. The premiere will be Monday, but then it's relegated to Fridays. Friday is where networks usually send shows to die. This is a cop show about a detective who was wrongly accused of murdering his best friend and his family. He was found innocent and release from jail after 15 years (I think) and received a hefty settlement from the city. The show is about him readjusting to life outside, returning to the police force, and trying to find the real killer. It's actually really funny and really cleverly written. Just had to give this show a little plug, since I know it is probably not long for this world.
  • The last of the new shows for this season also premieres on Friday: The Ex List. The premise is: A thirtysomething woman revisits past relationships to find her soul mate after a psychic informs her one of them is her future husband, but if she doesn't locate him within a year she is destined to remain single for the rest of her life. Could be awful, could be fun. Again, unfortunate that they stuck it on Friday. CBS is obviously trying to experiment with the hour-long relationship dramedy format that ABC has mastered. Elizabeth Reaser (Ava/Rebecca from Grey's Anatomy) is the star. I like her. We'll see how it goes.
  • Also, Mad Men is back this week after a two week hiatus. The last episode was one of the best of the series. More on this when I return.

Have a great couple of weeks. Comment here if you're simply bursting to talk about TV while I'm gone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment